"Superheroes in the Making"
WHAT: Imagine three days of an all-girl world…A world where you can try new things. A world where you can meet other Girl Scouts from across the state. A world to have lots of fun. A world where you can feel part of something bigger than yourself. That world is Encampment!
WHY: To experience and celebrate being Girl Scouts!
WHEN: June 4-7, 2015
WHERE: Palmer State Fairgrounds
WHO: Registered girls in grades 3-12 and their leaders/adult chaperones per Volunteer Essentials ratios
COST: $65 for campsite (click here for form); $90 per girl; $0 adult chaperones
SAMPLE OF PAST PROGRAMS
- Art Club at Mat-Su College
- Art with Kelly Vey
- Jay's Taekwondo
- Arctic Orienteering Club--Learn about orienteering and make your way through a course.
- Aero Femme---(grades 7th and up, limit 15) learn from role models in th aviation industry about the stages of flight
- Insect ID or "What's in Your Soil?"
- Capturing Alaska - Digital Photography (grades all; limit 25) Learn tips and tricks you can use to capture Alaska's great outdoors on digital cameras. Bring your own camera if you have one.
- Introduction to Netball (all, limit 28)--learn how to play this sport which is predominantly played by women
- Dancing Around the World (all, Limit 30)--Learn dances from Greece, Israel and Armenia
- Hip Hop with Underground Dance Co. (all, limit 30)--learn the basics of hip hop dance
- American Tribal Style Belly Dancing (grades 5-12; limit 25)--learn the basics of belly dancing
- Balloon Twisiting (age/limit TBD)--Learn to twist balloons into shapes and/or animals from a pro
- Mountainview Judo Club (age/limit TBD)
- Jazz and Modern Dance (all, limit 15)
- Messy Science (grades 3-5, limit 25)--come get your hands dirty as you explore polymers, try you hand at bubble rockets and more
- Building Bird Houses (all, limit 25)
- Jewelry (age/limit TBD)
- Earthquakes, Fires, Floods, Oh My! (grades 3-7; limit 20)
- Sea Lion Monitoring with the Sealife Center (all; limit 30)
FABLOUS EVENT VOLUNTEERS WANTED!!
Workshop Presenters: Do you or someone you know have a exciting hands-on, interactive activity or skill you'd be willing to share with girls? There are four one-hour sessions per day (Friday and Saturday). You can tell us which ages you prefer, number of girls willing to work with, and how many times you are willing to repeat the program. If interested or you have suggestions, contact Lisa Mead at
Girl Scout Senior and Ambassadors who have completed 9th grade are eligible to volunteer during the event. If interested, complete the application and return to Tasha Nichols at